- Upper Cervical Care
- Upper cervical chiropractic is a very focused area within chiropractic, which is designed to help the entire spine by treating the top two vertebrae in the spine.
Our Upper Cervical Chiropractor Provides Back Pain Treatment in Marysville
Back pain is one of the most prevalent health conditions experienced, affecting over 80 percent of adults at some point in their lifetimes. This kind of pain is usually a symptom of another underlying condition that needs to be addressed. Back pain is caused by a wide variety of problems.
Causes of Back Pain
Back pain can present itself from a variety of factor. Some of the common back pain reasons we find include:
- Arthritis - Joint inflammation can spread to the back or spine. Arthritis is marked by stiffness and tenderness.
- Accidents or injuries - Whether it is a sports injury or an auto accident, certain physical exertions can lead to back pain.
- Disc herniation - Also known as a slipped disc, this spinal condition leads to the abnormal placement of a spinal disc. Telltale symptoms of slipped discs include numbness, tingling, paresthesia, and chronic pain.
- Osteoporosis - This disease involves weakness of the bones. A bone fracture is a big indicator that a person may have developed osteoporosis. Those with this disease are more at risk of falls and collapses.
- Sciatica - or pain running along the sciatic nerve. The sciatic nerve is the longest nerve in the body, affecting the legs and the buttocks as well as the back. Symptoms include weakness, numbness, and searing pain.
- Scoliosis - a disorder that leads to abnormal curvature of the spine. Scientists believe that it is due to a combination of genetic and environmental factors.
- Spinal stenosis - a condition that involves the narrowing of the spinal canal. Spinal stenosis is often due to arthritis, especially osteoarthritis or rheumatoid arthritis. Stenosis can cause discomfort shoulders, arms or hands.
- Spinal tumors.
- Spinal degenerative disease - This disease is usually caused by natural aging.
- Spondylolisthesis - This condition occurs when one of the vertebrae slips out of place. Shooting pain, tingling, numbness, and stiffness are common symptoms.
Types of Back Pain
Back pain can be classified as acute or chronic. Acute pain comes in short bursts, lasting up to 12 weeks at a time. Any discomfort that lasts beyond 12 weeks is considered to be chronic pain. Back pain can show up in different locations: upper, middle, and lower back.
Back Pain Treatment Options from Our Marysville Chiropractor
A treatment plan will depend on the patient's individual needs. Treatment options include the following:
- Surgery - Discectomy, spinal fusion and spinal epidural abscess are popular surgeries to treat back pain.
- Medication - A chiropractor might prescribe NSAIDS, opioids, skeletal muscle relaxers, steroids, or corticosteroid injections to treat back pain.
- Alternative methods - There are non-surgical means of treatment for back pain. Heat therapy, massage therapy, spinal manipulation, Blair upper cervical technique, acupuncture, and corrective exercise are just some of the methods used.
Get the Back Pain Treatment Your Deserve
Health First Chiropractor is your Maryville source for pain relief. Our upper cervical chiropractor, Dr. Clarke offers a range of treatment option to get you back to health and living life pain-free. If you're interested in receiving treatment from our chiropractic experts, call today at 360-658-1987.